125g (0.28lb) butter softened
1 pack sliced pancetta/streaky bacon
200ml (7fl oz) water
200ml (7fl oz) white wine
1 onion peeled and halved
1 lemon zested then halved
1 orange zested then halved
small bunch of rosemary and thyme
roughly chopped carrots
Hi everyone! This is a recipe for a traditional roast turkey in your Halogen oven.
Cooking time – 12-14 minutes per lb fresh, not from frozen turkey.
1. Remove the giblets from inside the turkey.
2. Chop half the rosemary and thyme leaves finely and add to the softened butter along with the orange and lemon zest.
3. Spread butter all over the turkey, season very well then lay the slices of pancetta or bacon over the turkey.
4. Push the remaining herbs, orange and lemon halves and half of the onion into the turkey cavity.
5. Place some roughly chopped veg such as onions or carrots in a large roasting tin (making sure it fits in your Halogen oven) for the turkey to sit on.
6. Pour the white wine and water around the turkey.
7. Cover and seal the roasting tin with foil.
8. Cook for the calculated time, in this case 144-168 minutes at 204°C/400°F. You need to place the turkey breast side down to begin cooking then half way through turn it over and cook the other side.
9. Remove the foil for the last 10 mins to allow the skin to crisp up.
10. The turkey can now be left covered in a warm place to rest for between 30-45 mins.