250 – 300 ml (9 - 10 fl oz) tepid milk
1 tsp caster sugar
450 g (1 lb) strong plain flour
1 tsp salt
50 g (2 oz) butter
Crusty bread rolls Halogen recipe
1. Blend the yeast with 150 ml (5 fl oz) of the milk and sugar. Sift flour and salt, add butter, and rub into flour.
2. Stir in yeast mixture and sufficient milk to make fairly soft dough.
3. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead thoroughly for 10 mins until dough is firm, elastic and no longer sticky. Place in a large bowl, cover with a clean tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size (1 – 2 hrs).
4. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead well for 2 – 3 mins. Divide into 12 equal pieces and shape into rolls.
5. Place the rolls on greased baking sheets (can just cover the rack with foil – shiny side up), spacing them well apart. Cover with tea towel and leave to prove until doubled in size. Cut slits in the top of each roll.
6. Bake for 30 mins at 225°C (437°F) on lower rack in Halogen Oven and keep watch on them until well risen and golden. If they brown too quickly, turn temperature down to 210°C (410°F) and bake for the rest of the time. Check they are not soft underneath, if so bake for 5 – 10 mins more.
Serve and enjoy. They’re delicious with butter, jam or a spread of your choosing, or accompanying soup, etc.