1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chilli powder
¾ teaspoon rubbed sage
¾ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon dry mustard
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
240 ml (1/2 pint) barbecue sauce (recipe below)
For barbecue sauce:
One 795g (1 lb 12 oz) tin whole, peeled tomatoes (with juices), pureed
1 tablespoon tomato puree
240 ml (1/2 pint) plus 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1½ teaspoon salt
175g (6¼ oz) soft light brown sugar
6 cloves garlic, minced
½ medium Spanish onion, chopped
Freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoon vegetable oil, like soy, corn or groundnut
Pinch of crushed red pepper
This recipe serves 4. Preparation time is 2 hours. Cooking time 20 minutes.
1) Mix into a large bowl, the chilli powder, oil, paprika, mustard, sage, ginger, and cayenne until the mix forms a paste.
2) Add the chicken pieces and rub the paste all over them, including under skin. Cover with cling film and place it in the fridge for 2 hours.
3) Preheat grill of halogen oven. Place a rack about 23 centimetres (about 9 inches) from grill element.
4) Place chicken pieces on a baking sheet, or grill pan, lined with tinfoil. Season pieces all over with salt and pepper. Arrange skin-side down on the sheet.
5) Grill for 10 minutes, cooking the chicken evenly, turning the pan occasionally.
6) Remove the pan from the oven and baste chicken with the barbecue sauce, turn the pieces skin side-up and grill, basting continually and turning the pan occasionally, until cooked through and crispy and the sauce has browned lightly after about 10 minutes more.
7) Transfer to a serving platter and serve immediately.
Preparing the barbecue sauce
1) Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, after around four minutes.
2) Mix in the garlic and crushed pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, for 45 seconds.
3) Add tomato puree and cook, stirring, until it has lightly browned, about 1 minute more.
4) Add the sugar, tomatoes, vinegar, and salt & bring to a boil. After, lower the heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until deep red in colour and reduced to approx. 950ml, after about 25 minutes.
5) Season sauce with pepper. Use now for basting on chicken or store, covered in the fridge, for up to three days or freeze for up to a month.